The #1 Chair Caning Repair Service
in Palo Alto Area
Classic vintage furniture is absolutely wonderful and can add a lot of character to the home. Many old furniture was built with cane material because it made the furniture, hygienic, airy and light weight. For people in Palo Alto CA looking to restore caned furniture, it is important that they use a chair caning repair service that can support both the integrity of the original piece and also support the weight of a person sitting in the furniture.
If you have cane furniture that you want to restore, it is important that you understand the terminology associated with this type of furniture. First, the material that the furniture is built with is called “cane”. The process in which the furniture is created is called “caning” and the product is called “caned furniture”. If you are looking for a chair caning service or caning in Palo Alto, CA, contact, The Barn Woodshop. We take great care of your cane furniture and specialize in refurbishing and restoring caned furniture back to its original condition.
How To Care For A Caned Chair or Furniture
Once you have your beautifully renovated cane furniture, it’s important to know how to care for it. To get the best use out of your caned furniture, follow these tips.
- Keep Cane Chairs Away From Heat and Humidity – Heat and humidity will cause the cane to become dry, resulting in brittle furniture that breaks. Heater ducts and direct sunlight should also be avoided whenever possible. To preserve the quality of your furniture, use a humidifier in the room.
- Use High Quality Products To Maintain Appearance – In order to experience the best results from your chair caning repair, be sure to use only high quality oil to polish. You’ll want to go over your furniture a few times a year with oil containing orange or lemon oil. You may use mineral oil, in small amounts.
- Make Sure Weight is Distributed Evenly – Caned furniture can be particularly delicate. So in order to prevent breakage, be sure to have the weight evenly distributed, whenever possible. Do not use furniture as a step stool, ladder, and certainly never kneel upon the furniture. If you do, it will cause your furniture to age prematurely, and you will have to invest in chair caning restoration again.
What To Do If The Furniture Seat Sags
As your furniture gets old, it is going to experience some normal wear and tear. If you notice that your seats are sagging, don’t fret just yet. You can revive it, before investing in the cost of chair caning restoration. Here’s what to do if your furniture seat begins to sag.
- Spray Your Seating – First, flip your chair over. Apply a wet, warm cloth to the underside of your caned seating. Let the cane seat and washcloth dry overnight. This process will shrink and dry the cane, which will take the pressure off of the inside of the wooden frame. Conversely, you can spray the seat with warm water. Let the solution dry overnight, and the same shrinking process should occur.
- Get Chair Caning Repair – If you want to maintain the look of your furniture, you’ll need to retighten the cane, or it will break along the frame. The Barn Woodshop has over 83 years of experience in the business of old-world craftsmanship and we specialize in chair caning repair.
Are you looking for an expert in chair caning repair? Contact The Barn Woodshop at (650) 322-2295 TheBarnWoodshop@sbcglobal.net, so we can help bring new life into your furniture. We offer a wide variety of services in chair caning restoration and are happy to help any way that we can. Call us today!